I really like this and it’s a great way to add color and light and re-enjoy that awesome bottle of wine you had with your friends last night! I would think it would make an excellent gift as well.
DIY: Wine Bottle Light
This past spring Daniel and I went on a road trip from San Francisco to the Grand Canyon. Along the way we stopped at Chateau Julien for a wine tasting. I wanted to do something with the empty bottle instead of throwing it in the recycling bin. So here it is!
an empty wine bottle
safety glasses and gloves (just in case the bottle breaks)
1/2″ glass drill bit
short strand of Christmas lights (with a plug only on one end)
1. Rinse out your wine bottle and remove the labels (if desired).
2. Place a piece of masking tape on the bottle where you want to drill the hole for the cord. The tape keeps the drill bit from slipping.
3. Put on your gloves and goggles and start drilling. Don’t apply too much pressure or you could break the glass. The drilling takes a long time. I spent about 30 minutes drilling the hole. Be patient!
4. Once your hole is drilled rinse the glass shavings out of your bottle, and let the bottle dry.
5. Carefully feed the strand of Christmas lights into the hole you drilled.