In the same way this post helped with slowing down bananas ripen, there are several ideas on how to properly and quickly ripen fruit and vegetables. Here is a great tip for those unripen avocados waiting to become guacamole! From Lifehacker and TheKitchn:
Use a Banana to Quickly Ripen an Avocado
Finding a good ripe avocado can be difficult at most grocery stores. If you get one that’s not quite ripe enough to eat but you’re dying to make up some tasty guacamole, food blog Tasting Table recommends you just store the avocado in a paper bag with a banana.
Bananas release ethylene gas, which speed up the ripening process for avocados (and other fruits). Storing the two in close proximity means the ripening is super charged and happens quicker. If you happen to do your grocery shopping at a store that only seems to stock rock hard avocados, this might come in handy. If you don’t have any bananas on hand, Apple’s should work just as well.
- Insiders Scope: Home Office Moving, Storage and Organization - Moving Insider on 50 Fabulous Pinterest Ideas for Your Home Office
- Gus Lafarge on How to Preserve Avocados for up to a year!
- fruit on 5 Tips to Perfect Food and Wine Pairing
- healthy foods on 5 Tips to Perfect Food and Wine Pairing
- fresh foods on 5 Tips to Perfect Food and Wine Pairing