(Don’t forget to pre-order! Release date is Tuesday for my son-in-law’s very funny political satire: DON’T MESS WITH TRAVIS)
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
I love avocado’s, but have thrown away way too many of them (as well as not had any when I wanted them!). Here is a great tip on how to preserve and store them for up to a year! From EatingRichly:
I cannot get enough avocado. In high school, we had an avocado tree in our front yard, and I got avocado whenever I wanted it. In Washington, avocados are freaking expensive! Although various varieties of avocado are available year round, they are typically most affordable in the spring through the fall. When I see a really good deal on avocados (under $1 each for the large size), I buy about ten at a time. But I can’t actually eat that many before they start to go bad, so I have to preserve them. Here’s the technique my mom came up with in Hawaii.My dog Rusty loved avocados. They’d fall from the tree and he’d carefully cradle them in his mouth as if he was carrying a little green puppy, carrying them around the yard to gently lay in a pile on our front step. It was so much fun to come outside and find the treasure trove of avocados with little delicate golden retriever tooth marks in them. He was definitely good at retrieving and knew exactly what we would value the most.
Every time we collected his bounty, we’d toss a sacrificial avocado to him as thanks for his good work. He’d roll it around for a little while, joyfully playing with his treat, then curl up around it and begin to nibble it open to get at the sweet buttery flesh.
Not wanting the overripe fallen avocados to go to waste, my mom began preserving them in the freezer. She’d mash them up with lemon juice and store them in airtight plastic bags. Then we had mashed avocado ready to eat whenever we wanted it. We used it for guacamole, mixed it into tuna and chicken salad, spread it on sandwiches.
I have two gallon bags in the freezer right now and could use your help. How do you like to eat mashed avocados?
Preserving Avocado in the Freezer
- 5 ripe avocados
- 5 TBS lemon juice
- Slice the avocados in half and discard pits. Scoop the flesh from the peels.
- Mash the avocados, then add the lemon juice. Mix well.
- Spoon into a gallon sized zip top bag, squeezing out all the air before sealing.
- Freeze up to one year.
- Insiders Scope: Home Office Moving, Storage and Organization - Moving Insider on 50 Fabulous Pinterest Ideas for Your Home Office
- Gus Lafarge on How to Preserve Avocados for up to a year!
- fruit on 5 Tips to Perfect Food and Wine Pairing
- healthy foods on 5 Tips to Perfect Food and Wine Pairing
- fresh foods on 5 Tips to Perfect Food and Wine Pairing